I bought Sparkfun's USB Weather Station v2, featuring an SCP1000 temp/press sensor, an SHT15 hum/temp sensor and a TEMT6000 light sensor. It can measure, once per second, all these values:

Pros:

Cons:

When I got it, I placed an USB-miniA cable on my Linux box, started the minicom terminal program onto /dev/ttyUSB0 port at 9600 speed, connected the WSv2 and... it just worked, outputting one line per second:
#55.39,081.35,026.5,080.03,100220,978,1,000003$
#55.43,081.28,026.5,079.97,100233,977,1,000004$

...

Meaning of the fields:


Problems?

It worked right out of the box. I was just happy.

I placed the SCP1000 gasket required for outdoor usage and placed the weather board out of my window, in the morning on a partially cloudy day, then began collecting data on my hard disk to build some 24-hour graphic table.

It was nice to see on-screen data values while logging.

Sadly, after some 11 hours working, the SCP1000 started outputting nonsense data (200 to 1300 mbar, -13 to +78'C temperatures...).

I soon detached the board and inspected it, but no apparent problem was there. I also left it for some hours without using it, but the SCP1000 didn't output anymore valid data. I am sure the board was never exposed to direct sunlight or water drops. It just stopped working without any apparent reason.

It's a shame having paid 125 bucks for a good thing like this, and seeing it becoming partially junk in the very first day of usage.

I hear someone telling me to request an RMA... but due to weird shipping costs from Italy to USA (up to some 90$) plus USA to Italy, it may be cheaper to forget this and buy another one on my next order on Sparkfun.

Alas! Before buying it, I wrote on their forum that I was willing to place it outside under the rain... Will they believe that I actually didn't? :(

In the end, I actually lose only the pressure values, because the SHT15 can read temperature levels as well.

Having temperature, humidity and day light levels, still makes some sense for a "weather station".


The SCP1000 is not dead, but...

After two days the SCP1000 began working again, for a few minutes only. I just had it 24 hours without running and tried on another computer first, and then on an USB hub. After some minutes, it first began giving out sub-zero temperatures, and then the weird temperature and pressure values (pressure is sometimes reported 65536 and 131072 pascal).


The SCP1000 is alive again!

After some 10 days, I tried it again and -wow!- it worked flawless. It only needed some time to dry.